by Anton Chekhov
Uncle Vanya Act 4 Summary
- In Vanya's room, Telegin and Marina sit and wind wool to make stockings. They talk about how Serebryakov and Yelena are getting ready to leave.
- Telegin says that he hid Vanya's gun in the cellar to keep him from killing himself. (He'd probably miss, though, right?)
- Astrov and Vanya come in arguing. Astrov claims that Vanya has stolen some morphine from him and can't leave until he gets it back.
- Sonya enters, and Astrov tattles to her about the morphine. She begs her uncle to give it back, and he finally does.
- Sonya takes her uncle away to make up with her dad, and Yelena shows up to say goodbye to Astrov.
- Sonya hints that she does kind of like him, even if it's something that would never work out.
- Serebryakov, Vanya, Mariya, Telegin, and Sonya all come back, and Serebryakov apologizes to Vanya. Vanya promises to continue to send Serebryakov money from the estate's earnings.
- Everyone leaves except for Astrov and Vanya, and Vanya doesn't know what to do with himself. He wants to get to work.
- Sonya and Mariya come back after seeing off Serebryakov and Yelena, and everyone settles in to start writing bills and knitting. Astrov leaves everyone going about their business.
- Vanya is sad, and Sonya tells him that they must continue living until it's time for them to die, and then they shall rest. Bummer.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...