by Anton Chekhov
When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Ivan Ivanovich Dimitriyev, 18th- and 19th-century Russian poet (1.115-17)
- Don Juan (1.141)
- Nikolay Aleksandrovich Ostrovsky, The Girl with No Dowry, 19th-century Russian play (1.265)
- Konstantin Nikolayevich Batyushkov, 18th- and 19th-century Russian poet (2.19)
- Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev, 19th-century Russian novelist (2.23)
- Nikolai Gogol, The Government Inspector, 19th-century Russian play (3.322)
- Horace, Ode I.28 "Three Handfuls of Earth" (3.29)
- Ivan Ayvazovsky, 19th-century Russian artist (4.26)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...