by Anton Chekhov
Ivan Petrovich Voynitsky, (Uncle Vanya) Timeline and Summary
- Vanya is irritated because Serebryakov and Yelena have come to stay, throwing off his schedule.
- Vanya argues with his mother because she defends Serebryakov against his insults.
- Vanya tries to tell Yelena that he loves her, but she won't listen to him.
- At night, Vanya offers to stay with Serebryakov so that Yelena and Sonya can get some sleep. When Yelena and Sonya refuse Vanya's offer, he ends up alone with Yelena and tries again to woo her.
- Vanya is drunk, and Yelena leaves him alone. He and Astrov chat about women, and then he talks to Sonya about the hopelessness of life.
- Vanya brings Yelena a bouquet of roses, but walks in on Astrov trying to kiss her.
- Just then, Serebryakov announces that he wants to sell the estate, which is Vanya's breaking point. He runs offstage, and when Serebryakov follows him fires a shot.
- Vanya tries again to shoot Serebryakov, but fails.
- Vanya steals some morphine from Astrov but gives it back at Sonya's prodding.
- When everyone leaves, Vanya settles in to working on the estate's accounts, just like he used to before Serebryakov came to interrupt his life.