War and Peace Epilogue, Part 1, Chapter 12 Summary
- Everyone is happy that Pierre is back, but for different reasons.
- The servants are glad because he brought back presents and because it will put Nikolai in a better mood.
- The kids are happy because Pierre plays with them better than anyone else – and because of the presents.
- Nikolenka, Andrei’s son, is excited because he loves Pierre more than anyone else in the world. He doesn’t want to be a soldier like his Uncle Nikolai when he grows up; he wants to be an intellectual like Pierre.
- Pierre gives out presents to everyone. He gives Natasha some jewelry, but she puts it aside for her daughter since she no longer has any occasions to wear it.
- Countess Rostov is clearly growing more and more senile. She just goes along without really living.