War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Epilogue, Part 1, Chapter 8 Summary
- Marya has a good effect on Nikolai.
- He’s got a temper and beats the serfs who annoy him.
- One day, Marya sees him beating some guy and starts crying. Nikolai feels awful and, from then on, tries to avoid fighting as much as possible.
- His aristocratic neighbors don’t really like him. He’s too concerned with his serfs for their taste.
- Instead of socializing, Nikolai just farms and reads books at night. He’s filling his library with the classics of his day and tries to read through each of them.
- Sonya is still living with them, helping out around the house and with the kids.
- One day, Natasha is talking to Marya about Sonya and basically says that she is the kind of person who was born to be taken for granted. Ouch.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...