War and Peace
War and Peace Epilogue, Part 1, Chapter 9 Summary
- Some years pass. It’s December 5, 1820.
- Natasha and her kids are visiting Nikolai and Marya. Pierre is away in Petersburg, but he’s supposed to be back any moment.
- At dinner, Marya can immediately tell that Nikolai is in a mood. Instead of just leaving him alone, she asks him what’s wrong. Bad call. He snaps at her and she gets sad.
- Nikolai walks off and takes a nap on the sofa in the next room.
- Marya goes to play with the kids, then checks on Nikolai.
- He’s sleeping and hates being woken up, but one of the kids came with her and she worries that he might make noise.
- And that’s what happens. Nikolai gets snippy and Marya leaves the room to let him sleep.
- Then their daughter runs up to him. He sits up and, just like that, he’s all happy again.
- He and Marya make up and he starts dancing around with his daughter.
- This whole thing is just a weird moment between them.
- Anyway. There’s a noise at the door. It’s Pierre. Natasha immediately cheers up.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search