War and Peace
War and Peace Volume 1, Part 1, Chapter 12 Summary
- Boris is totally humiliated by this whole trip but goes along with it for his mom’s sake.
- When they get to Count Bezukhov’s house, they are almost not allowed inside, but the Princess sweet-talks the porter into letting them see Prince Vassily.
- Prince Vassily immediately starts lording it over the Princess and her son. But they play along and suck up to him as much as possible.
- Mostly the conversation is about Count Bezukhov’s health. Is he really ill? Yes. Close to death? Yes.
- All this small talk is strategic: with every question the Princess maneuvers herself and Boris farther into the room. She’s a master – it’s kind of amazing.
- Finally, as if overcome by grief, she sits down in a chair. Prince Vassily kind of gives up trying to give them the bum’s rush at this point, and is just kind of “whatever.”
- The Princess says she is going to go talk to Count Bezukhov, and sends Boris to hang out with Pierre and invite him over to the Rostovs’.
- Prince Vassily is all, yes, please get this guy off my hands, he’s just in the way here and Count Bezukhov hasn’t asked to see him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search