War and Peace Volume 2, Part 1, Chapter 13 Summary
- Nikolai hasn’t seen Dolokhov in three days. He’s kind of stressing about whether they’re still friends or not.
- He gets an invitation to a going-away party Dolokhov is throwing for himself before leaving for the army and decides to check it out.
- It’s a gambling party and everyone is playing.
- Even though he is pretty sure Dolokhov is a card shark (you know, a cheater), Nikolai can’t help himself and sits down to play.
- And sure enough, he loses and loses and loses.
- Finally, he’s down 800 rubles. Double or nothing bet...and he loses another 800. Dude, walk away.
- But it doesn’t matter. Now Nikolai is really in trouble – he only has 1200 rubles to last him until spring, and now he’s 1600 in the hole. Guess it’s time to go hit up daddy for more money.
- Nikolai keeps playing.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...