War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 1, Chapter 8 Summary
- Liza goes into labor. She’s kind of in denial about it at first, but the Bolkonskys quickly call the midwife.
- Since Liza is so modern, they also call for an obstetrician from Moscow. But the midwife is like, um, it will be fine without him.
- Marya goes to her room to pray, and her old nanny comes and sits with her.
- Meanwhile, the household is pretending like nothing is going on, which is apparently the polite thing to do. But obviously that’s also hard to do when you’ve got a woman screaming in pain in the house, so in reality everyone is all keyed up and tensely waiting.
- That night, still no news.
- Marya is sitting with her nanny when suddenly the wind blows open a window and cold snow blows into the room.
- The nanny peeks out and sees a carriage.
- Marya assumes it’s the Moscow doctor and rushes downstairs to let him in.
- But then it turns out to be...Andrei! He’s alive.
- Also, the doctor is in the same carriage. They go to Liza’s room. (Hey, good call on not telling her that he was dead, right?)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...