War and Peace
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 1, Chapter 8 Summary
- Liza goes into labor. She’s kind of in denial about it at first, but the Bolkonskys quickly call the midwife.
- Since Liza is so modern, they also call for an obstetrician from Moscow. But the midwife is like, um, it will be fine without him.
- Marya goes to her room to pray, and her old nanny comes and sits with her.
- Meanwhile, the household is pretending like nothing is going on, which is apparently the polite thing to do. But obviously that’s also hard to do when you’ve got a woman screaming in pain in the house, so in reality everyone is all keyed up and tensely waiting.
- That night, still no news.
- Marya is sitting with her nanny when suddenly the wind blows open a window and cold snow blows into the room.
- The nanny peeks out and sees a carriage.
- Marya assumes it’s the Moscow doctor and rushes downstairs to let him in.
- But then it turns out to be...Andrei! He’s alive.
- Also, the doctor is in the same carriage. They go to Liza’s room. (Hey, good call on not telling her that he was dead, right?)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search