War and Peace
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 16 Summary
- Officers live in trenches dug out of the ground for extra warmth. Nikolai and Denisov live in a trench like this one, where sometimes, if they can get their hands on some hot coals, it gets warm enough to take off their coats. Boy, now that’s luxury.
- One day in April, Nikolai overhears Denisov arguing with some other officers outside their trench. Then Denisov saddles up and rides off.
- When he finally comes back it turns out that he’s pulled an awesome heist – he actually held up the provisions transport with a bunch of other men to bring food back to the soldiers.
- But guess who doesn’t think it’s awesome, but rather grounds for a court marshal? Yup, that’s right – the army top brass.
- Denisov acts tough in the face of his indictment, but Nikolai can tell that he’s worried. Sure enough, he’s relieved of command over the regiment.
- In the next fight, Denisov gets a minor graze wound on his knee and uses that as an excuse to head off to the hospital rather than having to be with the men without being their leader.