War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 3, Chapter 14 Summary
- The Rostovs get invitations to a fancy-shmancy New Year’s Eve ball.
- Natasha is elated – it’s her first real event. She’s been getting dressed since early morning and is helping out her mom and Sonya.
- Finally, Sonya’s hair is all done, and it’s time to put on Natasha’s dress...which is too long. Good thing they have servants around. Some maids quickly shorten the dress.
- Eventually, after a lot of fussing, everyone is ready.
- The Rostovs pick up a friend on the way and leave for the ball two hours late.