War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 3, Chapter 2 Summary
- On the way back from the estates, Andrei has some business with the county marshal, who happens to be Count Rostov.
- He drives up to the Rostov house and sees Natasha running around outside. She’s laughing and happy, and Andrei is immediately interested in and kind of annoyed by her.
- The whole day he is there, he watches her and wonders what she’s thinking about that makes her so happy.
- He stays the night, waiting for his business with Count Rostov to be finished. Before going to bed, he opens his window and overhears Natasha and Sonya talking in the room above his.
- Sonya wants Natasha to go to sleep already, but Natasha is leaning out the window and loving the beautiful night. She says she wishes she could fly.
- Andrei can’t deal with his emotions and goes to sleep.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...