War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 3, Chapter 20 Summary
- Berg invites Pierre to dinner. Helene already said no, but Berg’s not one to take no for an answer.
- Pierre feels bad, says yes, and shows up on time.
- Berg and Vera are doing their best to act like real live humans. Seriously, what is with these two? They’re like weird robots hanging on the edge of this book.
- Berg is fixated on having everything be just right, meaning just like every other party he’s ever been to. Vera is concentrating on getting the conversation to go the way she wants it to go. The two of them immediately make Pierre uncomfortable.
- Finally, the rest of the guests arrive and start chitchatting.
- Berg-bot registers noise levels and is happy that it sounds like a party. They have young people, old people, and even an old general as guests. Collect them all!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...