War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 3, Chapter 9 Summary
- Helene is the toast of the town in Petersburg. She runs the coolest salon (not for hair, but for deep-thoughts-style conversation). Everybody who is anybody goes there to see and be seen.
- Pierre is surprised by this, because he knows how dim Helene actually is. But maybe that’s the glue that holds the whole thing together.
- But it’s all good, and the same people who think she’s so clever also think that he’s just this adorable weirdo. In a nice twist, he comes off as cool because of how little he cares about his wife and the salon and everyone who comes to the house.
- Oh, and the VIP guest at the salon? Boris. Oh yeah, baby, he’s there all evening every evening. Pierre starts feeling irritated by and jealous of him.
- Still, Pierre is having a nice little spiritual awakening.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...