War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 5, Chapter 12 Summary
- The next day is pretty bad. Natasha sits around sending servants to see if Andrei has come back yet (he hasn’t), and rehashes the whole Anatole situation.
- Marya Dmitrievna then hustles everyone off to church, which is usually fun for Natasha but now is just annoying.
- After that, while she’s checking out the new dresses from the dressmaker, Helene busts into the house and covers everyone and everything in smarmy compliments.
- Natasha is lapping it up, totally happy that this glamazon is paying her so much attention. Helene then tells her in private that her brother is way, way into her. Natasha is shocked that they’re all talking about her this way even though they know she’s engaged.
- Helene repeats the invitation to the party.
- Later, Marya Dmitrievna warns Count Rostov that Helene is bad news, but they decide that they still have to go to the party.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...