War and Peace
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 5, Chapter 20 Summary
- Pierre immediately leaves to look for Anatole. He can’t find his brother-in-law anywhere until he goes home. Anatole is there, at one of Helene’s dinner parties.
- Helene sees that Pierre is enraged and begs him not to make a scene at the party. He basically calls her a word that rhymes with floor, grabs Anatole, and pulls him into the study.
- There Pierre starts in on his brother-in-law, who wastes no time getting terrified of Pierre and fessing up the whole affair.
- Anatole gives Pierre Natasha’s letters (important, since they are evidence), narrowly escapes getting beaten up, and sums up his whole philosophy of life: basically, he doesn’t care about any of the consequences of his actions.
- Pierre tells him that he needs to leave Moscow and never come back.
- The next day Anatole leaves for Petersburg.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...