War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 5, Chapter 21 Summary
- Pierre tells Marya Dmitrievna that Anatole is gone.
- He then goes off to his club. He hears rumors about Natasha and says the only thing that happened was that the Rostovs declined Anatole’s proposal of marriage.
- The Bolkonskys are psyched that the marriage between Andrei and Natasha is off.
- Andrei returns.
- The first thing he hears is that Natasha has refused him.
- At his dad’s house, Andrei seems fine. He talks to Pierre about his political ideas.
- When Pierre finally brings up the whole Natasha situation, it’s clear that Andrei knows all about Anatole. He is bitter and unpleasant and generally grossed out by Natasha.
- He tells Pierre that he can never forgive her, gives Pierre her letters and presents, and tell him to tell Natasha that he wishes her the best.
- Pierre is sad to see how gleeful the old man is, and how happy Marya clearly is that her brother won’t be getting married.
- Over dinner they discuss the war, which is about to break out again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...