War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 5, Chapter 22 Summary
- Pierre goes off to the Rostovs’. He hands the letters and things to Sonya and tells Marya Dmitrievna about how Andrei took the news.
- Natasha calls for him. She asks Pierre to ask Andrei’s forgiveness – not because she wants to get back together, just because she’s been so horrible to him.
- Natasha cries, doesn’t really know what to say, and generally is a sad and sorry sight.
- Pierre tells her that if he weren’t married, he’d propose to her on the spot.
- This makes her feel a little better.
- Pierre leaves with tears in his eyes.
- Riding home on his sleigh, Pierre looks at the sky and sees a comet. It fills him with joy and wonder and hope.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...