War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 3, Part 1, Chapter 14 Summary
- In the middle of the night, everyone is woken up – the army is on the march again to a village called Ostrovna.
- Nikolai and Ilyin get ready and ride off. Nikolai is on an a fantastic campaign horse. He is amazed to see that already he knows how to deal with the fear of coming battle – mostly by ignoring it and staying in the moment.
- Ilyin, meanwhile, is freaking out, like all newbies do.
- After a little while, the regiment lines up behind the front line of the army. The front line is already fighting the enemy and they can hear the sounds of battle.
- Orders come to attack, and Nikolai hears the sound of bullets. The sound is exciting and he gets all pumped for action.
- As they ride toward the battle, the guys in front of them ride down to the fighting and then quickly ride back.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...