War and Peace
Cite This Page
War and Peace Volume 3, Part 2, Chapter 26 Summary Page 1
- Meanwhile, over on the French side of things, we get a totally hilarious chapter mocking Napoleon.
- Napoleon’s palace prefect comes with a gift.
- While Napoleon gets a massage, the prefect sets the present up like a surprise. Finally, the unveiling – it’s...a portrait of little Napoleon, Jr.!
- Napoleon is clearly strongly aware that his every move now is being recorded by History with a capital H. He comes up to the portrait and looks at it with fatherly love, thinking how it will make a nice contrast in the eyes of his audience with the whole war thing.
- Then he orders the portrait to be paraded around outside so everyone can have the joy of looking at their future ruler.
- Finally, he asks them to take it away, since his son is too young to see a field of battle. He’s really acting up a storm.