War and Peace
Cite This Page
War and Peace Volume 3, Part 2, Chapter 9 Summary Page 1
- So, a little info about the estate where the Bolkonskys are now. It’s called Bogucharovo. They’ve never really lived there, so the serfs there kind of manage themselves. This has made them a little less subservient and a little more freedom-loving. Also, they’ve managed to become pretty well-off too.
- When Alpatych shows up, he can tell these serfs are all riled up about something. Turns out the French have been spreading propaganda leaflets around, and the peasants have decided to stay and join the French. They’re also resisting letting Marya leave.
- Alpatych talks to their leader, Dron, who is between a rock and a hard place. He wants to do what Alpatych is saying, because he’s basically a loyal guy, but he also wants to do what the peasants want, since he has to live with them.
- He tells Alpatych that, sorry boss, there aren’t any horses or wagons that Marya can use to travel.
- Alpatych calls him out on the lie, but can’t do much about it.