War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 3, Part 3, Chapter 21 Summary
- Moscow’s bridges are crammed with people and soldiers trying to get out. Picture the worst traffic jam you’ve ever seen, but without any rules of the road.
- Some of Russian soldiers decide to turn back and do some minor looting around town.
- Officers go to shoo these looters away and get sucked into the looting themselves.
- At the bridges, there is still no movement.
- Finally, some general decides to take matters into his own hands, unloads a bunch of cannons from their wagon, and pretends he’s about to start shooting into the crowd. Everyone quickly gets a move on and the road is cleared.
- We’re thinking the traffic cops could take a tip from these guys, no?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...