War and Peace Volume 3, Part 3, Chapter 28 Summary
- Pierre has decided that he can’t let anyone know that he speaks French. This will be a way to hide his identity and his rank.
- The knock at the door turns out to be a French officer, who comes in and wants to be quartered in the house.
- Everyone kind of ignores him for a while, until suddenly Makar jumps out of nowhere and points the gun at the Frenchman.
- Pierre lunges and tackles Makar, and the gunshot goes wide, missing.
- Forgetting that he’s supposed to not speak French, Pierre runs up the officer to make sure he’s not injured.
- He explains that Makar is drunk and crazy, and the officer is all, hey buddy, you saved my life, so we’re cool.
- The officer declares that Pierre must be French, then orders food and wine to be brought.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...