War and Peace
Cite This Page
War and Peace Volume 3, Part 3, Chapter 34 Summary Page 1
- When he gets back to the square, it's filled with people and he can’t figure out where the crying woman is.
- He finally finds someone who knows the woman and her daughter.
- As he talks to these neighbors, he sees French soldiers stripping the boots and fur coat from a rich Armenian man. His family sits nearby, and another soldier comes and starts to menacingly get close to their daughter.
- It’s a horrifying scene, especially since the daughter just sits there and doesn’t even struggle against the soldier.
- Pierre runs up, screams for them to let the young woman go, and starts to beat the stuffing out of the soldier. A patrol group of soldiers rounds the corner and takes him out.
- Apparently the French have orders to round up anyone suspicious as part of a strategy to stop the fires, which they think are being set by guerrilla fighters.
- Pierre fits the bill. He's taken into custody and placed in a house under guard. Talk about a cliffhanger.