War and Peace Volume 4, Part 1, Chapter 10 Summary
- Finally, on September 8, Pierre and the rest of the prisoners are hustled off to see the marshal.
- On the way, Pierre sees the devastation of the totally destroyed, burned-down city. It’s horrible.
- In a mansion where Pierre used to go to parties, he is now brought before...Davout, the French general.
- He’s immediately totally terrified, because Davout is known as a vicious guy.
- Pierre answers his questions, tells him who he is, and explains what he was doing near the fire. He also throws in the name of the French officer whose life he saved from Makar as some proof of his identity.
- For a second, Pierre and Davout lock eyes and establish a deep human connection. There’s some hope for Pierre at this point, but suddenly a messenger comes in, and Davout stops thinking about him.
- Davout doesn’t seem to make a decision. He calls for Pierre to be taken away and is immediately distracted by other business.
- Pierre realizes that he’s been sentenced to death.