War and Peace Volume 4, Part 1, Chapter 3 Summary
- Nine days later, a messenger comes from Kutuzov to Emperor Alexander.
- Basically, he tells the emperor the deal – that it was either lose Moscow and the army, or just Moscow.
- Alexander takes it in stride.
- Then the messenger says the army is raring to fight. Which is music to Alexander's ears.
- Alexander gives a little speech about how, if he ever stops being emperor, he’ll go and be a peasant and eat potatoes. Unlikely, but still, good effort.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...