War and Peace
by Leo Tolstoy
War and Peace Volume 4, Part 1, Chapter 7 Summary
- As soon as news about Borodino makes it to Voronezh, Nikolai is antsy and wants to take off.
- He goes to the church service in honor of the victory and sees Marya there.
- She’s deep in prayer and doesn’t pay any attention to him.
- When they are leaving, he comes up to her and tries to comfort her – because now she knows about Andrei.
- Afterwards, he thinks about how into her he’s becoming and regrets having committed himself to Sonya. All his thoughts are bubbling over with love for Marya.
- He is overcome and starts to pray – for real, the way he saw Marya doing, not how he used to pray as a kid.
- Just then he gets a letter from Sonya. She's calling off their engagement. He’s overjoyed that his prayers have been so immediately answered.
- He gets another letter from his mom telling him about how Andrei is staying with the Rostovs, and how Natasha is taking care of him.
- Nikolai shows the letter about Andrei to Marya, sees her off, and then goes back to his regiment.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...