War and Peace
War and Peace Volume 2, Part 4, Chapter 13 Summary
- Anyway, back to October 6. That night the French are getting ready to leave Moscow. The troops are gathered and the prisoners are all dressed and ready to go.
- The sick guy is being left behind, and that’s stressing everyone.
- Pierre tries to go talk to the friendly French guard. He’s totally creeped out when the guard suddenly starts acting like a robot. He’s all business, yelling at the prisoners and not seeing them like human beings anymore.
- The prisoners are marched off, and Pierre is put with the Russian officers, all of whom are totally mean to him because he’s spent four weeks avoiding them.
- They walk through burned-down Moscow and see a horrible sight: a dead man, propped up against the fence of a church, his face all smeared with soot as some kind of corpse desecration. It’s revolting, but there’s nothing anyone can do.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search