War and Peace Volume 4, Part 2, Chapter 14 Summary
- The Russian prisoners walk slowly between French soldiers and wagons. It’s a massive traffic jam.
- Some of the prisoner officers are scandalized by all the loot the French are hauling away. The most scandalous of all to them is a wagon full of women, obviously Russian girls who have become army prostitutes.
- Pierre is unfazed by everything he sees, just trying to get through the march without becoming mentally unstable.
- The prisoners are treated worse and worse. For dinner they get some gruel and horseflesh to eat. Um, gross.
- After dinner, Pierre has some kind of deep-thoughts moment that doesn’t make much sense, then he goes to sleep happy.