War and Peace
Cite This Page
War and Peace Volume 4, Part 2, Chapter 6 Summary Page 1
- The next day, the orders for the battle are being followed...sort of. There are all kinds of specific troop movements that are supposed to happen, but of course, when you’re dealing with thousands of men, some get where they’re supposed to, some don’t, and some get to someplace they think is right when it’s actually not. And before cell phones, how on earth is anyone supposed to know if the other columns of soldiers are out of place or whatever? It’s hard.
- One detachment actually gets to the right place. There they find a French deserter who says he knows where Murat is staying, and if they send him with a hundred soldiers, they can capture Murat.
- The Russians believe him, send the men, immediately realize that the French guy was probably lying, and call the men back.
- Which really is too bad because apparently they totally could have gotten Murat.
- Instead, they attack full force but stop as soon as they get to the French camp. Instead of pursuing the French army, the Russian soldiers just start looting all the stuff the French brought with them from Moscow.