War and Peace Volume 4, Part 4, Chapter 18 Summary
- Pierre goes home and makes himself a deal to marry Natasha. (Wait, shouldn’t there be two people in on a deal like that?)
- He’s supposed to leave for Petersburg for some kind of business in a few days, but he pushes it off.
- As he drives through burned-out Moscow he sees the beauty in the ruins.
- He goes to Marya’s for dinner again, then sits there and doesn’t leave, even though it’s clearly time for guests to vamoose.
- Finally, Natasha just goes to bed.
- Pierre asks Marya to help him out. Marya knows Natasha would be into marrying Pierre, but she’s kind of mad that they’ve already forgotten all about Andrei. She says Pierre needs to wait.
- He comes by again the next day to say goodbye before leaving town. Natasha says she’ll be waiting for him.