War Horse Allusions and Cultural References
When authors give shout outs to other great works, people, and events, it's usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
- World War I (referenced throughout)
- "Some old duke [who's] been shot at somewhere" refers to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (2.15)
- Famous painter of horses, George Stubbs (5.4)
- Charge of the Light Brigade (the actual one, not the Tennyson poem) (5.4)
- Franco-Prussian War (5.4)
- David Lloyd George (16.18)