War Horse Chapter 11 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Emilie is still weak from her illness, but she does her best to take care of the horses.
- As the battles move farther away, Joey is thrilled to return to the work of a farm horse. Emilie doesn't want to work them, but her Grandpapa insists that they must in order for them to eat. Farms don't plow themselves, after all.
- One quiet day, a group of soldiers riding new horses shows up. A pale, thin man announces, "I shall be taking your horses with us" (11.12).
- Little Emilie says she'll die if the horses don't come back, but she has no choice but to let them go.
- Off goes Joey away from his human yet again, but at least this time he has his horse friend Topthorn with him.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search