War Horse Chapter 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Joey and Albert grow closer, despite Albert's drunk father's occasional interference.
- One day, drunk dad comes into the stable with a whip. He tells Joey that he's made a bet that he can train Joey to pull a plow by the end of the week.
- Joey don't want nothin' to do with no plow pullin', so he kicks Albert's soused papa in the leg.
- The next day, Albert tells Joey not to do that again or his father will shoot him. Yowza.
- Even though he was drunk, Albert's dad was serious about that bet. He makes Albert train Joey. If he fails, he'll either sell or shoot him. The horse, not his son.
- Being that it's only chapter 2, Albert and Joey succeed. Joey's not turned into glue, and he gets to stay on the farm.
- The chapter ends as Joey overhears Albert and his family talk of war. The war is creeping closer and closer each day.