Cite This Page
War Horse Chapter 20 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- Joey's not quite sure what's going on at the beginning of this chapter as a cup is passed around, and the men all clink coins into it.
- They groom Joey until he gleams and lead him off to auction. (Side note: Um, if they don't want him to be sold, shouldn't they have made him look as raggedy as possible?)
- Sergeant Thunder engages in a bidding war with Monsieur Cirac, the so-called "butcher from Cambrai" (20.10).
- Yep, we told you. Joey's not going to make it to the end of this one. Good thing we have one tissue left—
- Wait a second! Just as the auction is about to end, with Cirac making the final bid of twenty-seven English pounds, an old man stands up and makes the highest bid. It's Emilie's Grandpapa!
- The hammer falls, and Joey is sold.