Joey Timeline & Summary
- Welcome to the world, Joey. It's a cruel place. Joey is taken away from his mother on the first page and sold to a scary man on a farm.
- The man has a son, Albert, who is his father's total opposite—kind, caring, compassionate.
- Unfortunately, Albert's drunk dad sells Joey to the British army.
- Stationed in France, Joey becomes a cavalry horse. His first rider, Captain Nicholls, dies, and his second, Trooper Warren, is taken as a POW by the Germans.
- The Germans put Joey to work as a cart-pulling horse, retrieving casualties from the battlefield. There, he meets his best friend (his best horse friend, anyway), Topthorn.
- The war cools for a bit, and Joey and Topthorn are cared for a by a kind Frenchman and his granddaughter, Emilie.
- When the war heats back up, Joey and Topthorn are enlisted again to pull a gun across the battlefield with four other horses: Coco, Heinie, and two Haflingers.
- Coco dies. Heinie dies. Their caretaker, Friedrich, dies. Topthorn dies. The Haflingers run away. To put it mildly, war sucks.
- Joey is rescued by the British, who take him to their veterinary tent. There, Joey is reunited with Albert, who nurses him back to health.
- After the war ends, Joey is put up for auction. He's almost bought by a butcher, but Emilie's Grandpapa wins the bidding war.
- He gives Joey to Albert, and the two live happily ever after.
Next Page: Albert Narracott Albert's Timeline