The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963
Cite This Page
The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 Chapter 11 Summary Page 1
Bobo Brazil Meets the Sheik
- Dad sticks to his plan and keeps driving nonstop.
- Kenny and the rest of the family wake up every once in a while, but everybody mostly sleeps until Momma finally announces that they're home (she means her home of course).
- Momma's so excited, she starts honking the horn like a crazy woman.
- Kenny is surprised that Birmingham looks so much like Flint, with regular houses and great big trees.
- It's been ten years since the Watsons last visited Birmingham, so Kenny and Joey have never actually met Grandma Sands. There's lots of hugging and crying and laughing all around.
- Kenny has heard so many stories about how mean and strict she is that he expects Grandma Sands to be like a giant troll or foaming at the mouth or something (that Kenny has some imagination), but it turns out she's just a regular little old lady with a cane.
- He thought there would be a battle between Grandma and Byron like Godzilla vs. King Kong or Bobo Brazil vs. the Sheik, but now it looks like Grandma is no match for Byron.
- That is, until Grandma asks Byron to go to the store and Byron forgets to say "Yes ma'am." Kenny makes a smart remark about Byron, and Grandma puts them both in their place in a hot second. She's not as fragile as she looks.
- Grandma also mentions something about a Mr. Robert who nobody seems to know, and Momma looks worried.
- Meanwhile, Byron is all smiles and polite and "yes, ma'am; no, ma'am." Kenny is disappointed that all the fight has already gone out of Byron; he was expecting a good show.