The Weary Blues
The Weary Blues Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What connections can be made between race and blues music in "The Weary Blues"?
- Is a simple, repetitive blues song art? What if a lot of thought went into it and touches people emotionally?
- What is the difference between Langston Hughes's use of dialect and, say, Mark Twain's use of dialect in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
- Why would Hughes write about a blues singer in a dive bar when many prominent African Americans were trying to represent themselves as high society and cultured in European art, music, and literature?
- How are music and poetry therapeutic? Who do they help more: the creator or the audience?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...