What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- If you haven't already, check out Raymond Carver's original draft of this story. Which one do you like better and why?
- Are Mel and Laura flirting? If so, how do Nick and Terri react to this?
- Do any of these characters change over the course of the story? If so, which ones and how do they change?
- Do the two couples learn anything from each other about love? If so, what?
- Do you trust Nick as a narrator? Does he have any biases? And what do you think he thinks love is?
- How would you describe Laura and Terri's relationship? Are they friends? Frenemies?
- Is Terri's love for Ed in part motivated by her grief over his death and the way he died? Again, if he was alive and still threatening her, would she still feel the same way? Is she able to see him as human because he is no longer a threat to her?
- Did this story teach you anything about love? Why or why not?
- This story focuses on romantic love, but does it also say anything about platonic love, or friendship? If so, what?