When I was One-and-Twenty
by A.E. Housman
When I was One-and-Twenty Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think that this poem is supposed to be ironic? Why or why not?
- How would you describe the speaker's tone? How does the rhyme scheme underscore the tone of the poem?
- Do you think that the speaker is recounting his own experiences or exploring a "universal" experience? What helps you come to this conclusion?
- Do you think that the speaker believes that love exists?
- Do you buy the wise man's advice? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...