When You Reach Me
by Rebecca Stead
When You Reach Me Chapter 13 Summary
The Winner's Circle
- Mom is turning into a pro at the speed round, but now it's time to practice for the Winner's Circle – the round where she can win big money. (And by big, we mean $20,000 big.)
- In the Winner's Circle, the celebrity partner will give Mom clues until she guesses what category they all belong to.
- Miranda gives us an example: If the celebrity says, "tulip, daisy, rose," then the answer would be "types of flowers" (13.2).
- The round also gets harder because the celebrity partner can't use hand gestures – which is why Miranda is tying down Richard's hands with a clove hitch knot when he gives Mom the clues.
- Practice is harder this time. Mom only gets four out of the six categories. Everyone is silent. Mom finally says, "We still have two more weeks" (13.38).