Where the Red Fern Grows
Billy Colman Timeline and Summary
- We first meet Billy as a bona fide grown-up. He sees a dogfight, which reminds him of a pair of dogs he used to know, way back when…
- Bam! Billy is now 10 years old and really, really wants a pair of hunting hounds. And we mean really badly.
- After a whole lot of work, and saving for two years, he finally has enough to buy his dogs—from an ad in the back of a magazine. Like you do.
- Okay, get ready for some hunting, because there's about to be a lot of it. Seriously. Like, more hunting than you can imagine.
- Billy hunts with the dogs for several months and many more chapters.
- The hunting goes so well that our intrepid hero starts to get a little reputation for himself.
- The dynamic duo of Old Dan and Little Ann win a championship hunting competition. They are rewarded with some corned beef, while Billy gets $300 cash.
- Sure, seems fair.
- Two weeks later, a mountain lion attacks the duo (or trio). In an epic and horrifying battle, Old Dan dies protecting Billy.
- Little Ann dies a few days later from a broken heart. Everyone is beyond sad.
- Billy's parents decide now would be a great time to move the family to town and leave the farm.
- On his last day at the farm, Billy visits his dogs' graves and sees a sacred red fern growing between them.
- His faith is restored and he's finally ready to grow up.