Where the Sidewalk Ends
Where the Sidewalk Ends Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What do you think it's like where the sidewalk ends? We've got a few details from our speaker, but now let's do some imagining ourselves.
- Who is the best audience for this poem? Children, adults, or both? Why?
- What is the speaker's attitude towards the city? Why?
- So we know that children are important in this poem, but why? Why do they know how to get to where the sidewalk ends? Why not adults, too?
- What is the effect of the image of chalk-white arrows? What do they make you think of?
- Who do you imagine the speaker to be?
- Why do you think the speaker repeats himself so much? What's the effect of all that repetition?
- Now go ahead and write your own poem about where the sidewalk ends? What images will you change or add? How will you make it your own?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search