Where the Sidewalk Ends
Cite This Page
Where the Sidewalk Ends Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What do you think it's like where the sidewalk ends? We've got a few details from our speaker, but now let's do some imagining ourselves.
- Who is the best audience for this poem? Children, adults, or both? Why?
- What is the speaker's attitude towards the city? Why?
- So we know that children are important in this poem, but why? Why do they know how to get to where the sidewalk ends? Why not adults, too?
- What is the effect of the image of chalk-white arrows? What do they make you think of?
- Who do you imagine the speaker to be?
- Why do you think the speaker repeats himself so much? What's the effect of all that repetition?
- Now go ahead and write your own poem about where the sidewalk ends? What images will you change or add? How will you make it your own?