Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 2, Chapter 2, Part 1 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- We now head over to the boys' college, which makes for a nice change of scene.
- The boys are all apparently heading out to a strip club, and there's lots of cursing and frat-boy-type antics afoot.
- Boq, though, refuses to go with the gang since he needs to study.
- Avaric, the chief frat boy, badgers Boq, but it's no go. Avaric notices that Boq seems distracted and wonders if something is wrong. But then Avaric himself gets distracted and leaves Boq alone.
- Fun tidbit: Avaric's name sounds a lot like "avarice," which means greed.
- Boq is definitely distracted, since he has fallen in love with Galinda.
- He spends his time spying on the girls' dorm across the street and gets the occasional show when the girls forget to close their window drapes while dressing. Classy, Boq.
- Tonight is a big night for him, though, because he plans on sneaking over to the girls' dorm to declare his undying love (or something) for Galinda. His plan gets a little vague on that point.
- So Boq climbs a tree and tries to find Galinda's window. He gets more of an eyeful of undressing girls than usual from this vantage point.
- But before the book starts to go in a very different direction, Elphaba returns and scares Boq out of the tree. He falls on his butt into a bed of lettuce.
- Elphaba finds this hilarious.
- So the two sit down and chat. Boq confesses what he was doing up in the tree, but Elphaba is completely unsympathetic to his unrequited love.
- After mocking Boq and being sarcastic, as usual, Elphaba offers to bring Galinda to the garden another night and stage a meeting with Boq.
- Boq is grateful and rushes home, too excited to think clearly.
Next Page: Volume 2, Chapter 2, Part 2
Previous Page: Volume 2, Chapter 1, Part 4