Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Cite This Page
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 2, Chapter 2, Part 5 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- Avaric is back in town.
- Elphaba gets a letter from Galinda inviting her to come visit them (Galinda and her friends) at their summer lake house.
- Boq insists that Elphaba go, and she finally agrees, reluctantly.
- Since Elphaba can't travel without a chaperone, Boq says he and Avaric will escort her.
- But Morrible won't let Elphaba travel alone with two boys either, so Grommetik accompanies them.
- Elphaba and Avaric don't like each other and bicker a lot.
- Avaric implies that Elphaba is an elf, and Elphaba says he can find out by breaking her arm (elves apparently have brittle bones):
"I certainly will not touch you," said Avaric, managing to say many things at once.
- "The elf in the self regrets," said Elphaba. (22.214.171.124-37)
- The group arrives at Neverdale, the lake region, and go to the house.
- Everyone there is shocked to see them.
- Galinda is horrified. She says she didn't write any letter and would never invite Elphaba anywhere.
- We're beginning to see why the future Wicked Witch of the West isn't Glinda's biggest fan.
- Galinda's friend Pfannee admits to writing it as a joke.
- Elphaba is angry and humiliated and insists on staying at the lake out of spite now.
- Boq corners Galinda and they discuss Elphaba. Galinda says her friends don't like Elphaba and Boq says Galinda is being mean to her.
- They talk some more and Boq finally kisses Galinda.
- The next day Boq, Galinda, Grommetik, and Elphaba head back to Shiz. Avaric stays with Galinda's friends.