Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 2, Chapter 3, Part 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Glinda was changed. She knew it herself.... She had invented a nonsense disease for Ama Clutch, and Ama Clutch had come down with it. Was this proof of an inherent talent of sorcery? (220.127.116.11)
- Glinda is dealing with her guilt and her growing mistrust of Madame Morrible.
- She has also ditched her old "friends" and now mainly socializes with Elphaba, who is becoming a true friend.
- Elphaba explains Nessa and her family history to Glinda.
- We learn the details behind Melena's death after Elphaba's brother Shell was born in Quadling Country.
- We also learn that Turtle Heart is dead:
The crowd, incited by some rabble-rousing faithers and a prophetic clock, fell on him and killed him. (18.104.22.168)
- Elphaba talks about her hard childhood in Quadling Country. Frex worked as a missionary and Elphaba witnessed how the Wizard's troops came to mine for rubies and rounded up the Quadlings into "settlement camps" and killed them.
- Glinda doesn't care about politics and wants to hear about Elphaba's siblings:
"Nessarose is a strong-willed semi-invalid" said Elphaba. "She's very smart, and thinks she is holy." (22.214.171.124)
- Nessa sounds like the life of the party. Shell is notably not deformed.
- Elphaba notes that Nessa is their father's favorite. We're sure that little detail won't cause any problems at all in the future.
- Glinda is not a huge fan of Nessarose. She finds her overly demanding and obnoxious.
- Glinda is majoring in Sorcery (which she has a natural talent for) and she enjoys her classes with Miss Greyling.
- Over lunch, Glinda, Elphaba, and Nessa discuss religion and magic.
- Elphaba argues that magic is nothing but tricks and illusions.
- After Elphaba calls sorcery "trivial." Glinda tries to levitate Elphaba's sandwich and ends up blowing it up instead.
- Elphaba laughs and says she doesn't believe in religion or magic. Nessa is offended by her sister's self-proclaimed atheism.
- We have a feeling Nessa is the type who would go to a party in order to lecture everyone against partying.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...