Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 2, Chapter 3, Part 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Boq tries to question Elphaba about Dillamond's work. She hints that she managed to get most of his notes out of his lab before the police got to them.
- Elphaba is studying the notes on her own and refuses to let anyone help her, since it would be too dangerous.
- Boq and Elphaba attend their coed Life Science class with Doctor Nikidik, who talks very softly and is very boring. Most of the class is taking a power nap.
- But then Nikidik busts out a vial of some magic potion and announces that he plans to use it on one of the portraits of the school's founders to make the portrait talk.
- It's just like Hogwarts!
- But before the magic session can get underway, a new student from the Vinkus enters the classroom.
- The draft from the open door messes up the potion, which has turned into a magical mist, and a pair of antlers hanging on the wall gets doused instead.
- The antlers come to life and attack the poor new student.
- Crope and Tibbett come to save the day and wrestle the antlers away from the new kid.
- Boq sums it up best: "What an awful welcome to Shiz" (18.104.22.168).
- At least the Vinkus kid has something interesting to write home about.
- Glinda, meanwhile, is in class listening to a discussion about the differences between science and sorcery.
- The teacher Miss Greyling argues that sorcery is way cooler than science since "[i]t builds anew rather than revealing the old" (22.214.171.124).
- Later Glinda brings up the topic among her friends and Nessa warns her that sorcery might be corrupting her morals.
- Glinda wants to tell Nessa to stuff it.
- Boq, Elphaba, and Avaric are in another life sciences lecture.
- Nikidik is really going to have to go all out this class if he wants to top his whole "magical antlers turn homicidal" thing.
- But then some students wheel in a lion (or a Lion) cub. Nikidik argues that when animals or Animals are young you can't tell the difference between them.
- The class goes into an uproar, though. Elphaba keeps yelling about the "political implications" of the lesson and a lot of students protest because the cub is obviously scared.
- Finally when Nikidik is about to "experiment" on the cub, two girls jump up and rush the cub out of the room.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search