Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 2, Chapter 3, Part 6 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Ama Clutch has a very modest funeral, and everyone is mad at Madame Morrible for not spending more on the affair.
- Morrible calls Elphaba, Nessa, and Glinda into her office after the funeral service. She refuses to let Nanny accompany them.
- Morrible says that Ama Clutch misunderstood what she saw and that Grommetik just happened to be at the scene of Dillamond's murder; he didn't kill anyone.
- Morrible then puts a spell on the girls and forces them to listen to her wacky proposal: she wants all three to become "adepts," or secret agents, for the Wizard and to work in different regions of Oz doing the Wizard's work.
- As Morrible puts it:
"He requires a few generals. In the long run. Some people with managing skills. Some people with gumption. In a word, women." (220.127.116.11)
- She then goes on to flatter all the girls, explaining why she chose them for the "special" task. Apparently all of them are strong and have spirit and a knack for leadership.
- So in the future Glinda will rule Gillikin, Elphaba will rule Munchkinland, and Nessa will rule the Quadling Country.
- She then puts a silencing spell on all the girls so that they can't discuss this with anyone, even each other, and sends them on their way.
- After the meeting, the friends decide to go have a drink in honor of Ama Clutch.
- Glinda feels sick and disoriented and can't quite recall what Morrible spoke with them about earlier.
- Nessa and Glinda both faint, and Elphaba tells Glinda to snap out of it.
- The rest of the gang decides to go out to the Philosophy Club.
- Nanny leads a protesting Nessa away to catch a cab back home.
- Elphaba also refuses to go and drags Glinda off with her. She tells Glinda, "we're going to see the Wizard, come what may and hell to pay" (18.104.22.168).
- We don't remember those lyrics from the 1939 movie.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...