Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 4, Chapter 2, Part 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- A few weeks later Elphaba comes to visit the sisters in their parlor.
- Elphaba has changed tactics, deciding to make her confession to the sisters, who will presumably pass it along to Sarima.
- First the sisters fill Elphaba in on what happened immediately after Fiyero's death.
- It was all shrouded in mystery, but Sarima was convinced that Fiyero was having an affair with Glinda and that Glinda's husband had had him killed.
- See, Fiyero often wrote about his school friends and talked a fair amount about Glinda. He rarely mentioned Elphaba, though, which makes sense given the super secret affair he was actually having with her.
- Sarima's sisters think this story is absurd and believe that Fiyero became involved in some sort of political situation or shady business and got himself killed. The Emerald City is apparently like Al Capone's Chicago or something.
- One of the sisters also suggests that Fiyero was taken off to prison somewhere, since his body was never found.
- This stuns Elphaba; she's always assumed he was dead.
- She finally tries to make her confession, but the sisters cut her off since they do have some loyalty to Sarima.
- Elphaba is defeated again:
"Another time," she kept saying, "when you're ready, when she's ready. You see it's essential; there's so much grief she could be released from – and that she herself could lift, too." (188.8.131.52)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...