Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
by Gregory Maguire
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Volume 4, Chapter 2, Part 9 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The visitors arrive and Nanny is with them!
- Elphaba is shocked and happy. Nanny spills Elphaba's name, so now everyone knows it. But she still gets called Auntie Guest/Witch, since old habits are hard to break.
- Nanny says she learned that Elphaba was a nun through Crope, who knew that Elphaba tended Tibbett on his deathbed. So Nanny decided to track Elphaba down.
- She also reports that the Wizard has crowned himself Emperor.
- The Wizard is just like Napoleon, who (in)famously crowned himself emperor of France, and a bunch of other places that he'd taken over, in 1804. He literally took the crown out of the Pope's hands and stuck it on his own head. Good stuff.
- Elphaba is appalled and climbs back up on her political soapbox.
- Nanny then makes Sarima and the Sisters angry by calling them all collectively "old and female."
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...